Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tuna & Tuscan White Bean Salad


 
I was having lunch with my good friend Chris Payson a few years ago, at Aqua-- a then very trendy restaurant in the Waterside Shoppes.   It was summer…and hot…so I ordered something cool and light—mixed greens with tuna salad on top.  Halfway through eating when we finally took a minute out from talking (he loved himself more than I do ME), he asked me how my lunch was.  “Not sure” I told him…”I can’t tell if it’s tuna or chicken!”  It was tasteless, and I learned then and there to stick to the quiche because at least that has bacon in it…lol.
This Mediterranean tuna salad has vibrant flavor, and its fresh, cool ingredients are perfect for hot summer lunches.  I make it for me and my mom on weekends when we want to relax and catch up, my daughter loves to take a container to school in her Vera Bradley lunchbox, and after golf it's THE BEST.
It takes 5 minutes to make and then it chills in the refrigerator while you go about your day.  Bacon or not, there’s no quiche in the world easier than THAT!

------------------------------------------
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1 can good quality albacore tuna in water, drained
1  16-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
olive oil
1 lemon
I bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley, washed
cracked pepper/salt/cayenne pepper
crackers  (I use saltines) or loaf of crusty bread


Drain and place tuna in bowl, breaking up gently with fork, though I like mine to have some texture.

Drain and rinse beans in colander.  In colander, sprinkle beans lightly with salt and pepper, and mix.  Taste beans, they should be flavorful but not too salty.    Add to bowl with tuna. 

Sprinkle cayenne pepper and cracked pepper (to taste)  over all and drizzle with a little olive oil.  Squeeze 1/2 lemon over and add approx. 1 handful rougly chopped parsley.

Mix all gently, being careful not to break it up too much or it will become mushy.  Adjust  seasonings and lemon if needed and chill in refrigerator til ready to use. 



Serve with crackers or break up some crusty bread.

2 comments:

  1. Christine, you know I love this. Thanks for posting.
    Glad to hear you mention Chris :) I'm sure you must miss him
    --CK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do...It was a great 30 years and I miss him every day. He was only 50 :(

      Delete