Friday, September 25, 2015

One-Hit Wonders



Today is One-Hit Wonder Day.  Fun!  Some articles say that to be considered, an artist has to have reached the Top 40 on the Billboard 100, and then never again.  Some say it has to be number 1.  I SAY if I heard a song by someone...and then never heard from them again...it can be on my list.

Sorry David Gates if you had more hits as the lead singer of Bread, but as a solo artist, I've never heard you on my radio unless you're singing "Goodbye Girl".  You should have made the list but I knocked you off for Deee-Lite.  Maybe next year.

SO:  here's Christine's list of One-Hit Wonders (my favorite, plus 10 more), in order by date because I can't play favorites with these gems.  I'm sure you know all of them, and I hope they make you smile as much as I did while I was compiling the list.  And no worries, if "What Might Have Been" makes your mascara run, just move on to "Hot Child in the City"...it makes everything better :)

Me and Mrs. Jones (Billy Paul) 1972

Hot Child in the City (Nick Gilder) 1978

Rappers Delight (The Sugar Hill Gang)  1979

Tempted by the fruit of another (Squeeze)  1981

Come On, Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners)  1982

Let the Music Play (Shannon)  1984

I Touch Myself (Divinyls)  1990

Groove is in the Heart (Deee-Lite)  1990

What Might Have Been (Little Texas)  1993

Naked Eye (Luscious Jackson)  1996

And my favorite One-Hit Wonder:  Lips of an Angel (Hinder)  2005

No comments:

Post a Comment