Thursday, December 25, 2014

Hot Toddy




In my house, this is called “the drink.”  It’s what you make when your loved ones/neighbors/friends are sick and they need to get a good night sleep and get better…fast. 
My aunt Mary has the flu.  Now in the past, I’ve thrown this phrase around like nothin’…like if I had a head cold, I’d be all “I have the flu.”  Until I actually got the flu 2 years ago and I thought I was dying.  I caught it on a full flight back from Chicago in early December and was in bed for 2 weeks.  And guess what?  Nobody knows how to make the damn drink but me and I was outta luck!!   So now we all have the recipe and if I ever get sick again, you can make it for me NO PROBLEM.  And of course, I’ll always make it for you, because I love you :)

-------------------------------------------------

2 ounces alcohol of your choice:  Bourbon, Rum, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels
(in a pinch, I used Coconut Rum and it was delicious)
if you don't  have a shot glass, just count to 4 while pouring--1,2,3,4 (maybe 5) stop pouring...lol
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
water
honey

ps:  lemon is traditional.  You can certainly add it if you'd like (my mom does), but it changes the flavor and  makes it a little sour which I don't like for this drink 




Heat water in kettle on stovetop.

In the meantime, put brown sugar in the bottom of a coffee mug. 


Add approx. 2 ounces alcohol and stir both together.


this is where the alcohol should come to on the cup before you start pouring water

Add boiling water to the top of mug.
Add honey and stir.



Drink immediately.  MMMMMMMM......
Feelin' sleepy yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment