Monday, August 4, 2014

The Missing Porkchops and Applesauce Recipe

So, by now you've noticed that there aren't any pictures of porkchops and applesauce.  Here's how it went and keep in mind, this is the norm in my life...

While I was chopping the apples, my friend called to ask if she could come over to see how things were going and could she bring her bassett hound, Bobo?  Absolutely. I used to  have a bassett hound of my own (named Chester) and I love love LOVE them.  They're the perfect dog for me...all they do is eat and sleep...and so it occurs to me I might be part bassett hound myself.

But anyway:  I'm sautéeing the apples, which are smelling pretty delicious by themselves in their butter and brown sugar bath, the pork chops are just about ready to come off the grill, and she arrives.  Perfect timing.  I cover the porkchops and let them rest on the counter and we have a glass of wine. And then some.  Now, even though the "applesauce" portion of my recipe is written "serve immediately", there's wine and we're talking...and I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I just plain like to hear myself talk...so I decide to chance it and let the apples sit for awhile. A decision I was perfectly fine with...but in retrospect, not so much.

in butter and brown sugar
Here's where it all goes bad.  All of a sudden, in the middle of the wine and the talking and the wine, the goddamn dog puts his front paws on the counter and EATS every single one of the porkchops.  Gone...in like 6 seconds. BOBO!!  You dirty nasty ANIMAL!! GRRRRRRRR...and before we can even get out of our chairs, I hear the plate hit the floor and there's nothing left.  My friend gets in the kitchen first and chases Bobo to the corner, where he's pushed the last little bit of meat up against the baseboard.  What can I do??  I remained calm and finished the bottle of wine, that's what I did.  It was the big bottle, too!  I got drunk...my kids had to order a pizza...and the dog ate my homework! 

And THAT, my friends, is the story of the missing porkchops and applesauce recipe.

 


3 comments:

  1. Wait. Didn't YOUR dog eat a pound of manchego cheese off your counter a few years ago?? lol...TK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! But who knew there were TWO bassett hounds long enough to reach up there??? Live and learn...

      Delete
  2. LMAO i swear i just peed my pants... at least your dog didn't open the oven to eat the chicken dinner!

    ReplyDelete