Thursday, August 7, 2014

Lime Shrimp with Black Bean Salsa



I’ve been thinking about my little friend, Ben, all week.  Not only because he's a shrimp lover like me, but also because it's his 15th birthday.
You know how when you spin a top it does one of two things:  you can spin it normally and it goes and goes and goes until it runs out of steam then it collapses until you spin it again?  Or you can spin it crazy-like and it’ll start turning wildly and fly off the table and hit something??  That’s Ben.  He’s either at full capacity…or on overload…all the time.
 

I met Ben when he was 12 years old.  His dad had been his best friend all his life and they spent much of their time together so naturally, Ben loved and emulated him, so much so that what you ended up getting was a 45 year old man in a 12 year olds body…without the cigar!  And just like his dad he was, all at once—puffed up and blustery, loud, playful and sensitive, inquisitive, tenacious and flirtatious…and curious.  So curious.  He would view your every movement and the general goings-on like a scientist would a bug under a microscope.  If I’d be drying my hair in the bathroom, he’d be standing so close my elbow would touch him.  If I’d start taking my clothes out of the dryer, he’d rush in front of me, scoop them up, and put them in the basket.  Then he’d sit and talk to me while I folded them, asking question after question in his relentless pursuit for information about the curious bug under the microscope.  Like Sheldon knocking on Penny's door..."dad, dad, Christine, dad..."...lol.  I couldn’t shake this kid, he was exhausting.  And charming.

I’m not sure Ben ever knew how much I liked him, or if he really even cared.  But when I think of him, I smile…because for better or worse, and again like his father: once you've met him, you never forget him.
I've been promising him a fried shrimp basket for 3 birthdays now and one day I'll have to make good on it, but until then, this will have to do.  Even though the shrimp is hot on the plate, the abundance of piquant citrus flavor makes it seem cool and refreshing. And it's so quick and easy; perfect for these blistering hot days of summer we've been having down here in Southwest Florida.  My daughter loves it served with garlic bread...and I of course love it more served with a crisp white wine...lol.  I hope it becomes one of your favorites, too.

-----------------------------------------------------

LIME SHRIMP WITH BLACK BEAN SALSA

2 limes
2 cans black beans, drained
2 green onions, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 bunch cilantro OR Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp. garlic salt
salt,and pepper
olive oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined

black bean salsa
1 loaf frozen garlic bread

First, preheat the oven for the garlic bread and make salsa:
In a large bowl, mix the juice of 1/2 lime (and some of the zest if you're so inclined), with the black beans, onions, tomatoes, and both peppers.  Season with garlic salt and some pepper.  Cover and let sit in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Put garlic bread in the oven.

Toss shrimp with the juice of 1 lime and some salt.   Drizzle 3 tbs. olive oil in hot pan and quickly sautee until they turn pink and firm up on both sides.  This takes approx. 3-4 minutes (you'll want to cook them longer but DON'T, they'll be rubbery).

Take black bean salsa out of the refrigerator.  Taste, and add more lime and salt if necessary. Sprinkle some fresh cilantro or parsley on the top and mix together.

Spoon salsa on plate and serve with shrimp and garlic bread. 


(serves 3)




1 comment:

  1. Made this recipe last night. Everyone loved it. Quick & easy. (Had it for lunch today and it's good cold too)

    ReplyDelete