Saturday, July 23, 2022

Frozen Ice Cream Dessert with Crispy Topping


My friend's mom made this growing up and I adopted it when I had kids.  Her topping didn't have brown sugar, but I find the caramel it makes gives the nuts a richer flavor.  Use all your favorites and make it your own --I'm giving you the recipe, the memories it makes will be yours forever :)

I like to make this over the long holiday weekends in the summer. You only have to do the work once and you have dessert for 3 days.  Always thinkin', I am...

----------------------------------------------------

(WHAT YOU WILL NEED)

1 container ice cream, slightly softened (I use Breyers french vanilla)

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 1/2 cups rice krispies

8 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut

1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)

chocolate sauce (I use Hershey's dark chocolate)

9x11 pan


Take ice cream out of the container and spread evenly into the 9x11 pan.  Set aside.

In a large saucepan on the stove, melt butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramel forms.  Add nuts and stir.  Remove from heat.

In a bowl, mix coconut and rice krispies.  Add to the saucepan and mix all.  Let cool slightly.

Pour crispy topping over ice cream, spreading to cover.  Drizzle with chocolate sauce.  Cover and place in freezer until ready to eat, at least 3 hours.

To serve, cut in squares and serve in bowl drizzled with more chocolate sauce, if desired. Freeze remainder until needed.


  



No comments:

Post a Comment