Sunday, November 8, 2020

Manhattan



It’s a gray and rainy Fall day down here in Naples, FL.   Season is in full swing and we're already weary and tired, so for the next six months, here’s what I will be relaxing with after work.

That’s right. I brought back the Manhattan. Don’t say no because yes I did!

A few years ago I told my friend Steve my plan to do so and he didn’t believe me—until he had one with me at lunch.  Now he’s hooked.  Hooked on sweet, smooth, orangey goodness that has just enough bite to take the edge off the day.  Double Old Fashioned glass, extra cherry.

Last year was about testing:  I had 2 really good Manhattan’s in Chicago—at Rebar (awesome round ice cube mold) and at Chicago Cut Steakhouse (made with Rye).  The best one I’ve had here in Naples is at the Grill Room in the Ritz-Carlton (soaked cherries and extra juice).  So I’ve played around with them a little (to my delight tested far too many!) and here’s what I’ve come up with.  Really good!  

It's getting cold in the rest of the country.  I just returned from Chicago where it was 27 and snowing.  Light a fire, cuddle up, and make some Manhattans. You’ll for sure thank me later :) 

 


-----------------------------------------
(makes 2 drinks with some left over)

WHAT TO BUY:

Note:  I like the juice of regular maraschino cherries and the garnish of luxardo cherries, so I buy both.  The juice is essential to this recipe, but if you like to garnish with the regular marashino cherries, then you've saved yourself some time and money and don't need to buy the luxardos because admittedly, they are a little pricey

Bourbon (I like Makers Mark and Knob Creek)
Sweet Vermouth
Bitters (I like Angostura)
1 jar regular maraschino cherries
1 jar luxardo cherries
1 orange
ice
cocktail shaker
shot glass (approx 1.5 ozs)


In your cocktail shaker, mix:

6 shots bourbon
2 shots sweet vermouth 
3 or 4 dashes Bitters
splash of juice from the marashino cherries (maybe 2 teaspoons)

Shake, and pour over ice.  

With a paring knife, slice off a piece of orange peel about the size of a quarter.  Twist to release the juices, run it around the rim of the glass, and place inside the glass with 2 luxardo cherries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment