Monday, July 27, 2015

Kohlrabi


 
 
Have you had these beauties??   German for “cabbage turnip,” kohlrabi is a member of the extensive cabbage family (which also includes broccoli, cauliflower, kale and mustard greens).  They have the texture of an apple, the bite of a radish, and the smell of cooked broccoli.  But trust me when I say, they’re delicious.
I’ve been eating kohlrabi my whole life, but I’ve never had them cooked.  When I was little, my mom used to peel and cut these up raw right from the refrigerator, like an apple, and we’d eat them for a snack sprinkled with salt.  Still my favorite snack ever—
-----------------------------------------------
What to buy:
As many kohlrabi’s as you want
Salt



Buy Kohlrabi's and refrigerate until ready to use (use within 2 days). 

Cut stems and leaves off the bulbs, and then cut the tops and bottoms off.  They will look like this:



Quickly rinse under cool water to remove all dirt and dry with a cloth.  Peel like an orange with a large knife, from top to bottom, and then cut into cubes.

Salt will make the kohlrabi's watery if they sit too long, so only sprinkle with kosher salt if you are going to eat all of them.  Otherwise, place a few on a plate with salt and dip as you go.  Like this:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment